The station provides a vehicle for communication among students and other members of the university community, and for skills development of volunteers and staff. Reporting to the VoW FM board, the Station Manager will be responsible for overseeing the station, and making sure that it fulfills this dual mandate. The station works closely with the Wits Radio Academy, part of Wits Journalism, but remains independent of it. The Station Manager needs to maintain these and other strategic relationships.
- Strategic Management: providing overall direction to the station, under the direction of the board and in consultation with management and other stakeholders
- Organisational and Resource Development: ensuring that infrastructure and administrative systems work optimally
- Financial Management: controlling expenditure and ensuring that sales targets are met to ensure sustainability
- Staff Management, development and stakeholder relationships
- Programming, community and compliance: overseeing programme quality and ensuring the station fulfils its obligations to its community of listeners as well as statutory requirements.
- a degree in a relevant field;
- at least two years’ experience in radio station management; or experience in both media management and radio totaling at least three years.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to persuade and to manage a large team of staff, interns, volunteers and cooperation; and to relate to a wide range of stakeholders;
- A clear understanding of the different purposes of the station, and an ability to integrate community service, skills development and sustainability in the context of a university radio station;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed;
- A background in programming, technical, sales or marketing aspects of radio, or in skills development, would be a strong recommendation.
Closing date: 28 February 2017