Reporting to: Politics editor
Department: Business Day and Financial Mail editorial
Tiso Blackstar Group has a vacancy for a political writer to write news and analysis for Business Day and the Financial Mail, as well as their online platforms. The successful candidate will have good political and be able to report quickly and accurately on political events, political parties, the political economy and all spheres of government, as well as provide analysis thereof. They will be required to pitch story ideas, accept assignments from editors, and attend regular editorial meetings.
The successful candidate must have an editorial background and proven skill in writing about politics in English. He or she will be able to work under pressure and on deadline. Knowledge of print and digital publishing systems is also required.
Main responsibilities and outcomes
- Excellent all-round ability in written and spoken English;
- The ability to deliver accurate work to tight deadlines, for both online and print;
- Relevant tertiary qualification;
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong interviewing skills;
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships with credible sources of information;
- Good research abilities;
- A thorough knowledge of journalistic ethics and media law; and
- A valid driver’s licence.
Candidates should have
- A wide-ranging interest in political and current affairs;
- An understanding of politics, policy, political parties and government; and
- A broad general knowledge.
- Be self-motivated with the ability to work within a team.
Applications deadline: March 15 2019
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter and two references to Managing Editor Kevin O’Grady at email@example.com
Tiso Blackstar Group is an affirmative action employer and preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.