The Right2Know (R2K) is looking for a talented campaigner to organise our campaigns for the ‘Right to Communicate’, to advocate media and internet freedom, media transformation, and access to telecommunications.
From the SABC to #datamustfall, this is an opportunity to work with committed activists around the country to support popular campaigns that have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
Ideally this person should have a grasp of a range of issues related to communication rights including:
- Freedom of expression, including online and media freedom;
- The state of South African media transformation, in particular issues relating to diversity of media ownership;
- Access to telecommunications in South Africa, in particular broadband access and the cost of data and airtime.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting activist collectives to develop and implement various advocacy campaigns;
- Monitoring relevant legislation and media coverage;
- Undertaking research and preparing briefings, statements, and policy submissions;
- Managing and accounting for the expenditure of R2K funds
- Representing the Right2Know in various forums, including in the media;
- Developing popular education material and training events.
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign;
- Insight into campaigning and movement-building, including experience with advocacy, popular education and mobilisation in the context of current South African social justice struggles;
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, public policy and private sector policies and programmes related to communication rights
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage;
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity;
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management;
- Strong computer skills essential (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, e-mail and Internet);
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- Multilingualism, and/or a driver’s licence would be an advantage.
To apply, upload a cover letter, your CV, and complete a short self-assessment using this form: https://goo.gl/forms/e4Z4v0iz6YZfT2sI2
Applications close 12h00 on Tuesday 17 July 2018.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment. For more information visit www.r2k.org.za, queries: 0214471000.