Social Media Internship with UNHCR Regional Office for Southern Africa
Pretoria, South Africa
Applicants should have at least a first university degree, preferably in new media, social marketing, journalism, media or similar field, or is enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme in a related field at the time of application and during the internship.
The internship position with UNHCR will be for a minimum of three months and a maximum of six months between August 2017 and February 2017 on a full-time basis.
UNHCR has no provision for remuneration of Interns. All costs related with the Internship must therefore be borne by the Intern or his/her sponsoring institutions or governments, including costs relating to travel, living and accommodation. The Interns will be required to sign a code of conduct as well as an internship agreement with UNHCR stipulating the terms of contract.
- Organizational context:
The purpose of this internship is to assist with developing content for use on social media platforms and to support PSP communications (internal and external). The intern will be for a period of 6 months and assist the partnerships and external relations unit in strengthening social media communications and supporting specific advocacy and fundraising campaigns.
- Responsibilities (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist with developing social media posts for Facebook and Twitter for all UNHCR related issues
- Assist with the launch and development of the Southern Africa Instagram account.
- Help develop content including writing copy, source relevant information and develop non- written content that can be used for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- Assist with drafting of a social media strategy.
- Preparing and manning exhibition tables of information materials at UNHCR outreach events
- Assisting Private Sector Partnerships with researching information on a range of issues.
- Keep abreast of international and domestic news and undertake media monitoring
- Assist with writing reports, drafting meeting minutes as required
- Perform other duties as required
Applicants must, at the time of application have one of the following:
Fluency in English, i.e. oral and written proficiency required.
Knowledge of another United Nations language will be an advantage.
This intern will be directly supervised and coached by the Associate Fundraising Officer with overall management by the Senior Communications Officer, PSP and the Regional Digital Fundraising Officer, Nairobi.
- Subsequent Employment
The purpose of the Social Media Internship is not to lead to further employment with UNHCR but to complement studies, skills and experience. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
Please note that excellent writing and drafting skills in English is a requirement.
Please forward your curriculum vitae, confirmation that you have completed or are enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme, explanation of your interest in the work of UNHCR – to Peter Matshoge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “UNHCR Social Media Internship” in the subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 14 July 2017