W24 is looking for a skilled and enthusiastic digital-savvy Editor with a passion for fashion, beauty, wellness and gender issues. A thorough knowledge of South Africa’s female interest media landscape will be a distinct advantage.
• 5+ years of editorial experience in lifestyle publishing, including exposure to and knowledge of the digital environment,
• Tertiary qualification in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field, or equivalent years of experience,
• Excellent research and writing skills,
• Excellent grasp of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Skills & Competencies
• Copy editing/proofreading of content, including rich media and newsletters,
• Proven experience in managing and motivating a team of writers, including setting KPAs, measurable targets and recruiting new staff,
• Good interpersonal skills to work effectively with colleagues, contributors, content providers, and web developers,
• Knowledge of social media management, including best practices,
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under tight deadlines,
• Strong communication and problem-solving skills,
• Ability to work independently and to prioritise workload,
• Experience in producing and shaping high quality, accurate, engaging and accessible copy online,
• Meticulous attention to detail, grammar and spelling,
• Able to think creatively to present online content in a variety of different formats including video,
• Skilled at planning, commissioning, and scheduling projects from editorial development through to final delivery,
• Able to manage multiple projects at once and deliver to tight deadlines,
• Comfortable working knowledge of various analytics platforms.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Create, plan, implement and manage the content strategy, vision and guidelines for all W24.com platforms,
• Finetune an editorial voice and personality for the brand that is in tune with the needs and aspirations of the target audience,
• Develop and implement a social media and newsletter strategy for W24 to drive brand awareness and traffic,
• Identify current issues and fashion and beauty trends appropriate for the site
• Manage and motivate a team of content producers as well as briefing and coordinating with freelance contributors,
• Liaise with commercial and product teams to make the most of the site’s potential,
• Stay abreast of new technology to continuously improve the site’s performance and to add new functionality,
• Ensure that SEO best practices are applied throughout the site,
• Analyse traffic stats and other data to continuously set and assess targets to improve vital stats for site traffic, newsletters and social media reach.
24.com is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile, applications, job listings and interactive TV. Centered on News24, 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 6 million local unique browsers monthly.
Disclaimer: Preference will be given to employment equity candidates.