The Journalism and Media Lab (JamLab) is looking for a journalist to join their Johannesburg team, working with the Editor and the Jamlab Director. The successful candidate will be responsible for writing original content relevant to the jamlab community and to the Civic Tech Innovation Network which is hosted by Wits. They will work with the small team to build the jamlab and civic tech communities and programmes.
Jamlab’s online magazine and newsletter, launched in 2017, covers innovation in journalism and media in Africa and aims to reach media makers, journalists, media managers and startups working to innovate new media products and services.
Civic Tech Innovation Network was launched last year to connect people working in technology, government and civil society who are interested in using digital technologies to improve public services, civic participation and democracy. jamlab and the Gauteng City-Region Observatory at Wits are hosting the network.
The successful candidate will be responsible for writing original content relevant to Civic Tech Innovation Network and JamLab’s audiences and working with the small team to build the jamlab and civic tech communities and programmes. They will have a portfolio of well written feature length stories, and have an interest and preferably some knowledge in tech, media, civic tech and/or innovation.
The role in based is Braamfontein at Wits in the journalism and media department and at the Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct where we run some of our programmes.
· A tertiary qualification in any relevant field.
· At least two years’ experience in journalism or report writing. Feature writing experience will be an advantage.
Skills and Competencies
· Must have a keen interest in and some knowledge of civic tech, media, news and/or innovation.
· Must have a good understanding of online and social media.
· Must have exceptional language, writing and editing skills.
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Ability to work independently, to undertake research and to communicate well.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Write original content relevant to CTIN and JamLab’s audiences.
· Edit and publish content online and on social media.
· Identify trends in journalism and civic tech environment and generate strong stories around that.
· Assist editor with new story ideas.
· Assist in the management of the website, including maintenance and site improvements.
· Assist with updating CTIN and JamLab social media platforms.
· Play an active role in the team to grow the Jamlab and CTIN programmes.
Applications should be addressed to Indra de Lanerolle and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a short motivation (no more than one page), a CV and attach up to three samples of your writing.
Applications close on 24 May 2018