2017 students’ applications for the Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management at the Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership, Rhodes University, now open
Be a media manager
The Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership, a part of the School of Journalism and Media Studies, offers the Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM). The purpose of this diploma is to prepare students with the knowledge and skills required to perform mid-level management positions within public, corporate or community media organisations.
After completing the diploma, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of management paradigms and assess their application and impact on media organisations
- Demonstrate an informed knowledge of the theoretical and practical understandings of the relationship between media organisations and society, and the impact of policy and regulations systems in Southern Africa
- Draw on models of economic analysis and planning to conduct budgeting for media enterprises
- Understand and conduct core human management functions
- Apply theories of media marketing in a given context and an understanding of the relationship between the advertising industry and media enterprises
- Identify strategies for ensuring appropriate content and distribution decisions in relation to a media organisation’s strategic business objectives
- Conduct small scale research in an area of media management; and
- Critically reflect on work experiences in media environments.
For further details on the curriculum, please visit the website of the Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership at www.ru.ac.za/spi/. Prospective candidates can also phone SPI Administrator Buli Mangali (email@example.com) on +27-046-603-8851.
Candidates would normally be expected to have completed an undergraduate
Degree from a recognised university. However, consideration is also given to applicants with extensive media experience. Candidates must usually apply before 30 November of the preceding year of study.
A CV, an academic transcript and a letter of motivation must accompany the application. Entry onto the diploma is competitive and is limited to a maximum of 25 students.