We are looking to recruit an experienced journalist to join our Cape Town based editorial team.
The incumbent will manage TIA lifestyle. The lifestyle section on TIA website showcases the rich African culture through interesting thought provoking features or reviews of music, visual arts, film, events, travel stories etc.
- Writing content for TIA lifestyle magazine.
- Identifying and planning content for TIA lifestyle, and managing the quality and design of editorial content.
- Recommending and actioning strategies aimed at growing TIA audiences.
- Recruiting and liaising with freelance contributors.
- Achieving and maintaining quality of all editorial content.
- Editing articles (correct errors in punctuation, spelling and syntax) and supervise junior editors.
- Must have tertiary qualification in journalism, media and communication studies.
- Must have at least 5 years of senior journalistic writing and editing experience in a newsroom and 3 years experience in managing a team of newsroom staff or freelance writers.
- Excellent writing skills.
- A good understanding of the legalities affecting journalism.
- Must have an established network of contacts and information sources within arts and culture scene.
- Have a strong news sense, a wide general knowledge, and the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing media world.
- A keen sense to initiate and generate topical editorial content for lifestyle
- Must be fully computer literate, including the use of all social media platforms.
- Must fulfil the legal requirements to live and work in South Africa.
- Experience in using word press, web analytics, excellent understanding of best practice online user experience principles with some experience in creating user flows.
- Travel experience in Africa and beyond.
- The ability to plan and cope with the constant pressure of strict deadlines.
- The ability to generate ideas and to be innovative.
- Have strong interpersonal, coaching and leadership skills, as well as an ability to manage a team.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Be willing and flexible enough to work long, irregular unpredictable hours.
All interested and suitably qualified applicants should submit a written application and detailed CV by Friday, 31 July 2015to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, this is a full-time position, based in Cape Town. If you have not heard from us within two weeks of submitting your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.