The Kenyan Government has lifted the ban on live coverage of political events, writes Sam Kiplagat in The Nation.


In a statement signed by Information and Communications permanent secretary on Monday, the Government said that the ban had been lifted with immediate effect.

PS Bitange Ndemo said that the ban was lifted by Internal Security minister George Saitoti following the improvement of security in the country.

The ban was slapped on local media houses on December 30 after President Kibaki was sworn in to begin his second term in office after a disputed re-election.

In a letter addressed to all media houses, Dr Ndemo had directed the houses to stop broadcasting any inciting or alarming material and take responsibility for such broadcasts.

But after the ban, the media fraternity demanded an unconditional withdrawal of the order. The Media Council of Kenya described the decision as "retrogressive" and an attempt to curtail Press freedom.

Click here to read the full report, posted on allafrica.com.