Africa.com is looking for a part time editor based in Johannesburg to join its Content Team. You will work with the Senior Editor to curate and publish Africa.com’s highly popular daily curated news, as well as the current events, business, travel, and arts and culture newsletters, which are published weekly. You will have primary responsibility for discovering new and relevant content to share with the Africa.com audience through our newsletters, over social media, and via our website.
Building our audience and reach via social media is an important aspect of this job. You will have responsibility for crafting the social media strategy and also for its daily execution. In addition to further building our established presence on Facebook and Twitter, you will manage and build the Africa.com presence on Instagram, Tumblr and other platforms. As part of this job, you will use social sharing tools and create shareable visuals to better reach and grow our audience.
On a typical day, you are likely to …
- Read African news sources widely, and curate the daily newsletter, keeping in mind geographic diversity of sources and stories; publish the newsletter across several platforms; and analyze performance of prior days’ newsletters.
- Analyze the performance of a current Facebook campaign promoting recent original content; present the results to the CEO with suggestions for improvement; and implement your suggested changes.
- Plan and schedule posts across multiple social media platforms.
- Plan weekly twitter chat hosted by Africa.com on a relevant topic.
- Provide live social coverage during important events.
- Monitor comments on Africa.com and across external platforms, replying as appropriate.
- Begin curation of weekly newsletters for later in the week.
- Work on infographics and/or do basic video editing for posting to social media.
You can do this job if you are …
- Dedicated to sharing African stories across the continent and the world
- Passionate about the continent and African news
- Always reading the news, aware of current trends, and looking for different perspectives and views
- A self-starter and self-motivated
- Able to work independently and remotely
- Able to communicate effectively with a team across multiple time zones
- Extremely attentive to, and driven by, deadlines
- Familiar with multiple social media platforms, as well as real time analytics and social sharing tools
- Excellent at written communication
- Eager to pick up new skills
- A degree in journalism or African-related studies preferred though not required
- Prior experience in social media, including a demonstrated ability to craft tweets, Facebook posts, and live social coverage that people want to engage with
- Prior experience in content curation and generation preferred
- Excellent written English
The Company: Africa.com is run by a team of highly driven professionals, all passionate about sharing the varied stories of Africa across the continent and the world. We like each other. We work hard. We enjoy working hard together to produce high quality products. We have a high profile in our space, and participate in many conferences, launches, and other professional/social events.
Location and Hours: This job is a daily, part time job. The daily nature of the newsletter and social media management requires that you work part time Monday-Friday. This job is located in Johannesburg. You can work from home or from our office. You will be expected to attend meetings and events within Johannesburg semi-regularly. It will require you to be available outside of normal business hours in your time zone. Please specify in your application what else you may be engaged in.
Compensation: You will be compensated in line with your qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 20th, 2015:
- Cover Letter, outlining your motivation and relevant experience. Include examples of your work, such as shareable visuals you have created, websites you have worked on, published work or articles, blogs, social media or marketing campaigns, portfolio, or anything else of relevance that will support your application. Please mention personal social media accounts, or professional accounts that you have managed.
- CV with full contact information
- Curate a Top 10 Weekly News Must Reads (see examples at www.africa.com/newsletter/weekly-news/):
- Select 10 Africa-related news articles from the last seven days from multiple news sources to compile the week’s Top 10 Weekly News newsletter.
- Summarize each story in no more than 60 words, and list them from 1 – 10 in order of importance.
- Pay special attention to geographic diversity of news items as well as news sources.