The Citizen requires the services of a skilled copy sub-editor.
- Must be competent as a copy sub.
- Must be able to work according to strict deadlines.
- Must be passionate about online news and newspapers and have a strong news sense and interest in current affairs.
- Must work shifts as per operational requirements.
- Writes or rewrites headlines that work well online, not relying on the headlines off the wires, from journalists or admins, or what was in the paper.
- Able to correct common and more subtle errors of grammar, typos, etc.
- Ability and application to rewrite and re-angle copy whenever necessary.
- Give feedback to team members who commit the same errors repeatedly.
- Should be able to prioritise stories .
- Should have enough of a grounding in the facts of whatever stories are dominating the news cycle that he or she will be able to contextualise stories accurately where required or ask the journalist concerned to research and add required information.
- Should be able to spot and rectify mistakes or have these re-checked if something does not seem right.
- Should be aware of the laws that govern our industry so that we do not get into trouble legally or from a more general perspective.
- Names need to be checked and their spelling needs to be consistent.
- An appropriate bachelor’s or higher degree in Journalism/Linguistics or appropriate work experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in mainstream journalism.
- Advanced awareness of media law and current trends.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good computer skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- News awareness
- Deadline driven
- Team player
- Matric/Grade 12 qualification or SAQA Accredited Equivalent a must
- Valid driver’s licence a must
- Own vehicle a must
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Solid references
- No criminal record
Please send suitable applications with a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference in subject line: Online Sub Editor
Closing date for applications: 19 March 2021
Preference will be given to individuals who will add to the diversity of the organisation.
The Citizen reserves the right to not fill the position.