City: Industria West
The Citizen has a vacancy for a features writer specialising in TV and Lifestyle for online and print in its Johannesburg editorial department. The position is ideal for an energetic, self-motivated person interested in working in a digital first environment who is digitally savvy.
The role will be split between covering TV-related content and lifestyle content with a focus on health, fitness and wellness.
The ideal candidate would be a self-starter who comes with a great contact book who can secure exclusive stories, should not be camera shy and should be able to easily put together a story with fresh comment.
This position is for someone who understands how to take a social media story forward, who understands the difference between a UB and a PV and what SEO means and why it’s important. The ideal candidate should be accustomed to working on various online communication tools.
The candidate must have the ability to assume ownership of his/her work to ensure we place a quality product in the hands of our readers.
You should be brimming with ideas, be able to work in a fast-paced environment and understand how to prioritise work. You will be required to file for print, online and premium on a regular basis.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of Lifestyle.
- Build and maintain an extensive TV contacts list which include PRs and TV celebs
- Be on top of TV trends, soapie storylines and TV shows
- Develop a voice for TV content in print and online that resonates and captures our audience
- Covering and attending live TV broadcasts such as reality shows and other live events and launches
- Researching and researching some more on social media trends and looking at why #s are trending, what people are talking about and why are they talking about it and turning them into stories for online, print and premium
- Taking social media trends and commentary forward
- Ensuring social media commentary and reactions are covered in the TV space
Health, fitness and wellness
- Working on lifestyle-related content with a focus on health, fitness and wellness through stories, interviews, feature content, listicles
- Working on travel, décor, DIY, celeb, food and dining stories, fashion and beauty as and when assigned
- Occasionally working on news stories as and when required
- Posting to social media and ensuring there is a proper social media plan with a focus on TV and lifestyle content that ties into the bigger social media plan for Citizen.co.za – lifestyle
- Adhering to deadlines for free, print and online
- Must be willing to work in a team and independently
- Occasional travel required
- Matric/Grade 12 qualification or SAQA Accredited Equivalent a must
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field preferred.
- At least three years’ experience in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, social media or related media field and writing/reporting experience
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates reporting, writing, photography, video skills as well as successful social media engagement.
- Good general knowledge on a wide variety of lifestyle and entertainment topics as well as a good understanding of the technicalities of online and how it operates
- Note: Position may require shift work as and when required to accommodate big live TV events
- Excellent reporting, researching, interviewing, writing and storytelling skills
- Can write with urgency for digital products and provide meaning and context for print products
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and deadlines simultaneously and produce accurate work at a high volume
- Use research to tailor stories to fit the audiences for print and digital products
- Be familiar and comfortable with standards for avoiding libel and slander, and have a good grasp of the legalities of filing for online
- Ability to work in a high-energy, fast-paced environment and be committed to learning throughout their careers.
- A demonstrated interest in TV and pop culture
- MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook
- Excellent communication, language, networking and people skills
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work accurately
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of professional journalistic conduct
- News awareness
- Deadline driven
- Team player
- Valid driver’s licence
- Own vehicle a
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Solid references
- No criminal record
Please send suitable applications with a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference in subject line: TV and Lifestyle Writer
Closing date for applications: 23 October 2020
Preference will be given to individuals who will add to the diversity of the organisation.
The Citizen reserves the right to not fill the position.