TRi Facts is a commercial unit of Africa Check providing training, custom research and other bespoke services. We develop and provide training in fact-checking and research skills, and offer high-level research, data analysis and information as paid-for services, using Africa Check’s benchmarked methodology. Our clients include corporates, commercial and community media, non-governmental organisations, government agencies, and education institutions.
Based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, TRi Facts seeks to appoint a
Head of Education and Training
The TRi Facts Head of Education and Training is responsible for developing and delivering the educational and training services provided by TRi Facts to a range of education sector, media, corporate clients and the public.
This involves both developing educational and training materials for these different markets and ensuring delivery online and via a network of trainers. He/she is also responsible for supporting Africa Check’s work in fostering a network of independent non-partisan fact-checking organisations around the continent. Areas of work include:
- Developing and updating a range of training modules on fact-checking for TRi Facts clients, and the induction and internal training programme for Africa Check employees.
- Facilitating, and commissioning, training and supervising a team of free lance trainers to facilitate, TRi Facts workshops for clients and Africa Check employees.
- Developing, delivering and maintaining online curricula in fact-checking intended for
- Journalism schools around the continent
- Secondary schools
- The “How to Fact Check” section of the Africa Check website.
- Oversee the organisation of the annual African Fact Checking Awards”, including how these are used as a teaching opportunity to promote fact-checking skills.
- Assisting the General Manager of TRi Facts in meetings with clients, and other stakeholders
- Assisting in pitching and presentations to clients, sponsors and funders.
- At least 7 years’ experience in designing, developing material and delivering training preferably in the media sector
- At least 3 years’ experience coordinating or managing a training team
- Experience in developing and providing online training and education, and understanding of online platforms would be an added advantage
- Must be able to work and communicate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders from across the continent
- Must be able to work to very tight deadlines and be able to produce well-written reports
- Must be able to represent TRI Facts at public events
- Must be able to identify commercial opportunities
- Must have excellent computer skills
- Ability to speak and understand French would be an advantage
Interested candidates should carefully read the requirements below (attention to detail is considered a job requirement) and submit a recent CV together with the names of two referees).
Submit your application on email: email@example.com using the following subject line: “Application for head of education & training position”
Closing date: Monday 25 February 2019