Reporting to: Editor
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
The Sowetan is looking for a deputy editor. The position entails deputising for the editor when he is unavailable; assisting with the daily management of the newsroom; motivating and developing staff, particularly writers; overseeing the subs’ desk and production team; and writing editorial opinions and occasionally news stories for the Sowetan.
- Liaising with the news desk in managing the fast-news, daily and long-term diaries.
- Having a good overview of general news, features and opinion pieces covered by the newspaper.
- Overseeing the operation of the news, sports and SowetanLIVE desks.
- Assisting in the development of stories.
- Commissioning writers where appropriate, in conjunction with section editors.
- Attending management meetings when necessary.
- Engaging internal and external stakeholders.
- Providing practical assistance, ideas and solutions.
- Communicating with writers when work is well done or when mistakes are made.
- Identifying training needs.
- Writing editorial opinions that stimulate relevant debate and position the newspaper appropriately while remaining accurate, and engaging in interesting and thought-provoking topics in both editorial opinions and columns.
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- Relevant diploma/degree.
- At least 10 years’ experience in journalism, including some editorial management experience.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Unimpeachable integrity.
- Ability to work irregular hours.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a presentation during their interview.
Applications deadline: July 31 2018
Applications and CVs, including two references, should be addressed to: email@example.com
Tiso Blackstar Group is an affirmative-action employer and, as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.