Africa Check, the continent’s first independent fact-checking website, is seeking a deputy editor to join our growing Johannesburg-based team.
People across Africa make decisions every day based on the best evidence available to them, and often that information is misleading or just plain wrong. Our award-winning reports – published on our site and discussed and republished in wider media – reveal the truth behind the claims.
Identifying important claims in public debate to be fact-checked. Briefing researchers. Editing reports to ensure that they are error-free and easy to read. Writing headlines and taking ultimate responsibility for the accuracy of the work you put out.
Please apply if you:
- Have a well-honed nonsense detector,
- Are politically non-partisan,
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree in an applicable study field,
- Can write accurate click bait,
- Have been compared to Steve Jobs in the perfection you expect of subordinates,
- Can take the text equivalent of Joburg mine dump vegetation and turn it into a Chelsea Flower show exhibition,
- Are willing to put your pinky on the chopping board that each report you publish is faultless.
- Experience of handling news from around Africa, including Nigeria or Kenya,
- The ability to talk sensibly on television and radio,
- Fluency in an African language/French.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary,
- A 13th cheque based on performance,
- Lots of opportunity for learning and growth,
- Cake club on Thursdays.
Send a CV and cover letter explaining why you would be perfect for the position to email@example.com by Monday 25 July. Also suggest a claim in the news that should be checked.