Africa Check, the continent’s first independent fact-checking website, is seeking a researcher/journalist to join our Johannesburg-based team.
Identifying important claims in public debate to be fact-checked, undertaking research to verify or debunk them and then writing up your findings in an easily understandable way.
Acting as a spokesperson for Africa Check.
Please apply if you:
- Have a well-honed nonsense detector
- Devour the news
- Are impartial
- Have superb numeracy and analytical skills
- Are able to explain complex issues in simple language – in media interviews, too
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ workplace experience in either media or academia
- Specialist subject knowledge (for example, in health, economics, statistics)
- Fluency in an African language/French
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Lots of opportunity for learning and growth
- Cake club on Wednesdays
- Beautiful view of the Nelson Mandela bridge
Send a CV with a cover letter explaining why you would be ideal for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28 September. In your letter, suggest a claim in the news that should be fact-checked and why you think it matters. (Subject line of email must be “Application: Fact-Checker’’)