Started in 2013, the Bhekisisa Mail & Guardian Centre for Health Journalism produces daily news and features on health from across Africa. The centre also works to train and mentor African journalists to improve the quality of health reporting around the continent. With a dedicated audience in South Africa and a growing international readership, we are looking for a dynamic social media and content producer to help us grow our community of readers. We’d like to employ someone who recognises the power of social media not only to drive engagement but also to help affect social change – and knows how to use it.
Check out the details:
- Produce daily and varied social media content to promote Bhekisisa content, drive web traffic and promote engagement across platforms. This content should include live event content publishing when appropriate;
- In consultation with the team, develop a web marketing and social media strategy to increase awareness of and engagement with Bhekisisa content among an international audience. This will include keeping abreast of changes to social media platforms and adjusting the strategy accordingly;
- Work with journalists to develop story-specific engagement / campaign strategies;
- Be able to produce accurate, relevant content for the website, including content sourced from social media;
- Identify social media trends and work with journalists to respond to these;
- Compile regular reports tracking social media and online metrics, both for internal consumption and donor reports;
- Develop social media guidelines for internal use in line with broader Mail & Guardian regulations and ensure that staff adhere to these;
- Respond appropriately and promptly to reader feedback across platforms;
- Assist with basic administration duties for the project as needed;
- Other duties as required.
- Degree in journalism, marketing or communications;
- Two to three years’ experience in social media, communications or media;
- Excellent English writing and language skills, including spelling and grammar, and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated community management experience across popular social media platforms, i.e. including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Experience with additional platforms is an advantage;
- Proven experience in growing online audiences;
- Knowledge of standard social media metrics, including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and tools like HootSuite, TweetDeck and others;
- An understanding of social media guidelines and policies;
- Basic knowledge of SEO principles;
- Experience with email campaigns, including MailChimp, as well as proven ability in multimedia and graphics production is an added advantage;
- Ability to work well as part of a team and independently;
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours if need be;
- Multimedia experience, particularly with the production of podcasts, will be an added advantage.
Application deadline: 12 August 2016
- Applicants should submit a motivational letter of 400 words outlining why they would be a good fit for the position alongside a resume with three contactable references.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Only short –listed applicants will be contacted. Short-listed candidates will be required to take a written test prior to being interviewed.
Application materials should be emailed to email@example.com