Reporting to: Companies editor/editor
Business Day and the Financial Mail are looking for a Finance and Business Writer. We’re seeking an applicant with a track record of news analysis and sharp analytical pieces. Storytelling, scoops and the pursuit of ambitious stories are encouraged. Applicants should have a demonstrated knowledge of business and finance and be able to drive day-to-day coverage, company earnings, fast-moving breaking news and enterprise stories. The successful candidate will provide content for both print and online, and must be an active participant on social media, or at least demonstrate a working knowledge of digital platforms.
Main responsibilities and requirements
- Produce well-written, relevant, accurate and balanced news stories;
- Establish and maintain communication with contacts with a view to sourcing stories;
- Work to established style and deadlines;
- Ensure delivery of high quality stories;
- Perform any other duty as is reasonably assigned by the companies desk;
- An ability to manage multiple stories simultaneously under strict deadlines and to weigh in quickly with smart analysis;
- Resourcefulness, attention to detail and the ability to file with speed, accuracy and clarity;
- Proven ability to write clearly and authoritatively; and
- Receptiveness to feedback and openness to change.
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- Relevant diploma/degree;
- At least five years’ experience in journalism;
- A demonstrated knowledge of finance and business;
- Excellent news-gathering, research and writing skills;
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Unimpeachable integrity;
- A solid contact base; and
- Ability to travel and work irregular hours.
- Be self-motivated with an ability to work within a team; and
- A valid driver’s licence.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter, three writing samples and two references to Managing Editor Kevin O’Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 31 July 2018
Tiso Blackstar Group is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that should we do not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.