Reporting to: Editors, Business Day and Financial Mail
The Business Day and Financial Mail are looking to hire an energetic and creative individual to write about investments. We’re looking for someone who has a solid track record in business journalism, who will work well in a team, and is able to work across platforms and the two titles.
The ideal candidate would feel as comfortable writing about the impact of the three new banks — Discovery, Bank Zero and Tyme — on the incumbent banks, as they would about what went wrong at Steinhoff or EOH. He or she would be able to break stories, provide analysis of trends and events, and be able to prioritise well to discern which stories are worth pursuing, and which aren’t.
Main responsibilities and outcomes
- Write daily and weekly stories on investment issues for both Business Day and Financial Mail;
- Develop a network of sources and contacts in the investment industry;
- Write high-impact cover stories, based on impeccable research and interviews
- Play a leadership role in assisting and guiding younger reporters
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- At least 5 years’ experience in business journalism would be ideal;
- The ability to strip away the jargon in corporate announcements, crisply explaining and reporting in an accessible way investment issues to our audience
- Knowledge of the JSE, stock markets and the business environment;
- A working knowledge of digital platforms and social media is necessary
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter and two references to Managing Editor Kevin O’Grady at email@example.com
Closing date: 20 September 2019
Tiso Blackstar Group is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.