Africa Program Research Associate
Reports to: Africa Program Coordinator
Location: New York preferred, but not essential
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a research associate for its Africa program to research, report, and document attacks on the press in the continent. The ideal candidate will have passion for and knowledge of press freedom and human rights issues in Africa.
Strong research, reporting, and writing skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with a small team, are a must. Strong oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in French is an asset, as well has having worked on the continent. The ability to effectively use social media to promote the Africa program’s work and advocacy goals is key.
- Conducting daily research, reporting, and writing in English.
- Monitoring breaking news and events affecting press freedom and journalists in Africa and flagging them to the Africa Program Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Conducting interviews in English.
- Documenting press freedom violations in the Africa region.
- Working with the Africa Program Coordinator and other CPJ staff on regional advocacy efforts.
- Maintaining the Africa program’s pages on Facebook and Twitter; maintaining and expanding the Africa program’s regional network of contacts.
- Working collaboratively with CPJ’s Journalist Assistance Program to help distressed journalists.
- In addition, the Africa Research Associate is encouraged to contribute articles on regional press freedom issues to CPJ’s blog and to write such pieces for outside publications.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience and Skills:
- Understanding of press freedom issues in the context of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Knowledge of the African continent.
- Regional experience is an asset.
- Proven skills in writing accurately and succinctly.
- Research skills.
To apply, please e-mail a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples, and references to email@example.com. Please include “Africa Research Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: September 28, 2016