Financial Mail features editor
Reporting to: Editor
Department: Financial Mail
The Financial Mail is looking to hire an energetic and creative individual to commission and edit the features section of SA’s oldest business publication. We’re looking for someone with a solid track record of understanding the news and political economy of the country to work as part of a small team that puts together what we believe is the country’s best weekly publication. The ideal candidate will know, for example, which are the stories that demand deeper analysis, further investigation, and contribute towards understanding our society and the political economy better – whether it be the story behind the collapse of VBS Bank, the story behind the collapse of South African Airways, who are the entrepreneurs building SA’s Amazon, or the EFF’s prospects in the next election. The features editor will commissioning writers, and craft the stories with flair and a sense of the wider context.
Main responsibilities / outcomes
- Commission journalists to produce well-written, relevant and accurate stories;
- Manage the production of those stories, from inception to final page proof, including sourcing appropriate graphics and pictures, to tight deadlines.
- Play a senior leadership role in the newsroom, helping journalists craft stories and panel-beat ideas.
- Assist and work with the leadership team to fine-tune the magazine
- Take a leadership role in developing and expanding the website
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- At least 10 years’ experience in journalism would be ideal;
- Ability to apply rigorous editing to articles, if needs be, with a keen eye for removing jargon or tautology. A proven personal history of writing excellence is a clear advantage.
- A working knowledge of business, the political economy and the news environment;
- Excellent communication skills, organisational ability, and ability to work with people
- A working knowledge of digital platforms and social media is necessary
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter, three writing samples and two references to Managing Editor Kevin O’Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 31 July 2018
Tiso Blackstar Group is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that should we do not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.