The Global Investigative Journalism Network, a fast-growing nonprofit that provides support to investigative reporters worldwide, is looking for a full-time associate editor to assist the managing editor with producing and uploading content to our website and social media platforms.
GIJN is an association of 163 organizations in 72 countries dedicated to spreading and advancing investigative journalism around the world. This is a unique chance to be at the center of the global hub servicing the world’s investigative journalists at a time of unprecedented opportunities and challenges. You’ll work with a dynamic international team, spreading tips, tools, case studies and resources about quality investigative and data journalism around the world in six languages.
Applicants must have a solid understanding of investigative journalism, and a passion for innovation and the sustainability of the craft. A background in writing, editing and copy-editing in an online news environment is a must, as is experienced with social media. Experience with digital storytelling tools, content management, editorial project management, photography and graphics is a big plus. The position reports to our Johannesburg-based managing editor, but the successful candidate can be based anywhere with a strong broadband connection.
- Work with managing editor and regional editors to manage, produce and upload content for GIJN’s websites and social media platforms
- Write and edit English language stories
- Commission stories and arrange for reprints and extracts
- Assist with creative solutions to story distribution across social platforms
- Five years of experience as an editor in an online news environment
- Excellent English writing and editing skills
- Interest in investigative and data journalism, innovation and sustainability models
- Knowledge of social media marketing and community building
- Global perspective
- Ability to work independently and responsibly in a decentralized organization
- Highly organized
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Proficiency in WordPress and tools for social media platforms or ability to learn quickly
- Experience in graphics production, digital storytelling, project management a big plus
Location: Johannesburg is preferred, but we will consider other locales for the right person.
Salary: We’re a nonprofit but we pay a living wage. Salary will depend on your experience.
Starting Date: Negotiable
Deadline: Respond by June 15, 2018
GIJN is a multinational, multicultural, and multilingual organization. We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please click here.