The award winning community radio station, Hot 91.9FM, based in Northriding, is looking for an enthusiastic, passionate full-time Head Of News.
This position will report to the Programming Manager and be responsible for heading up the news team on a management level, managing the news team as well as compiling and presenting news bulletins.
– Attend management meetings and report on news department
– Compile and submit monthly news reports as requested by ICASA and other regulatory bodies
– Build the news team and assure proper manpower allocation and prioritise use of resources
– Research and keep abreast of local, regional, national and international issues of relevance to the Hot 91.9 FM programme output and must be able to make good contacts within the community
Hot 91.9 FM serves
– The rolling deadlines of 24-hour news and the increasing reporting via online media results will often result in longer working hours and weekend management of news.
– Develop and finalize content calendars relating to news events and following of relevant stories.
– Always manage newsreaders competencies and ensure reliable and professional news reading
– Record and file all schedules and news bulletins for governance and reporting purposes
– Manage new reader monthly schedules and invoicing
– Maintain absolute confidentiality regarding sensitive personnel, financial and commercial information
– Organize relevant training sessions and mentoring programs including presenting the News module at the Hot 91.9FM Radio Training Academy.
– Adhere to Hot 91.9 FM policies and procedures
– Participate in staff meetings, events and training as required
News Reader responsibilities
– Research, compile accurate bulletins and present news to tight deadlines
– Recording interviews – in person, or through telephone or studio links and produce sound bytes.
– Deciding on the most appropriate angle to approach the story
– Knowledge of the law, ethics and industry regulations around radio broadcasting and news journalism.
– Be familiar with and adhere to the South African Code of Ethics and conduct for South African print and on line media, the South African Constitution and Broadcasting Regulations.
– Minimum of Matric and preferably a completed tertiary education diploma / degree in journalism or media
– Knowledge of the broadcasting industry, solid understanding of news writing and journalistic ethics
– Strong computer skills, including MS Office
– Knowledge of the radio market, different station and programme styles, and audience demographics and consume Hot 91.9FM
– A minimum of 2 years previous experience in a news environment
– A valid drivers’ license
Competencies, Skills and Attributes
– Have an instinct for what makes good community news story
– Exercise sound editorial judgement
– Driven, dynamic journalist and have the ability to deliver content of excellence
– Have excellent writing and storytelling skills, with the ability to tailor and adapt content to the Hot
91.9 FM audience
– Be able to generate original ideas, and to think creatively about how to communicate them to the audience.
– Be able to work calmly and effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
– Be able to lead with confidence and decisiveness
– Have excellent communication and organisational skills with attention to detail
– Be able to coach and develop talent in others
– Be able to give and receive constructive feedback, and manage performance
– Effective and efficient scheduling and record keeping
– Objective, fair and balanced in the treatment of stories
– Have a heart for the community and giving back is core at Hot 91.9FM
Interested applicants are requested to submit their CV to recruitment@email@example.com before Friday 12th July 2019. Should you not receive a response, please consider your application as unsuccessful.