The Journalism and Media Lab (JamLab) is looking to hire a co-ordinator based at the Tshimologong Digital Innovation precinct and the journalism and media department of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. This is a position for a versatile, organised and self-motivated person who can support an ambitious media, social and tech innovation programme.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong administrative background with an interest in media, tech and innovation to develop their network and skills and to work in an exciting and dynamic ‘tech hub’ in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
The major responsibilities of the JamLab Co-ordinator will be:
• Co-ordinate activities of the JamLab accelerator and support teams participating in the accelerator programme in 2018
• Organise events at Tshimologong
• Provide administrative support to the JamLab Director and to the JamLab team
• Help maintain online communities on social media, working with our editors
• Support partners organising events in other parts of the country
• Liaise with Tshimologong events and community management team and contribute to the development of the Tshimologong community and precinct.
The Co-ordinator will report to the JamLab Director. They will work closely with the Tshimologong management team.
Qualifications, skills and aptitudes of ideal candidate:
• 3–5 experience of organising, leading or working in collaborative work environments, training programmes, event programmes or in positions where organisational and communication skills have been developed and demonstrated
• A relevant degree from an accredited University
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
• Organisational skills and attention to detail
• Some interest in innovation and innovation processes,
• Experience in media or communications, or in any tech-related field is an advantage
To apply, applicants must send an email marked in the subject line: “Application — JAMLAB Co-ordinator” containing a detailed CV and covering letter explaining interest and aptitude for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than June 8, 2018.
For more information on JamLab see medium.com/jamlab. For more information on the Civic Tech Innovation Network see medium.com/civictech
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
This is a contract position for one year with possibility of extension. Wits Journalism reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise the contract position if no suitable candidate is found.