The political journalist will be required to investigate, research and write compelling and factually correct political news and feature articles, as well as produce multimedia content for News24. The successful candidate will have to be deadline orientated and work to a tight schedule.
- Diploma or degree in journalism, languages or media studies;
- Established network of political contacts;
- Experience in writing about politics for a mainstream newspaper or magazine or reporting for an online operation or a broadcast news service;
- At least 3 year’s experience as a political reporter;
- Preferred would be some experience in producing multi-media content;
- Good general knowledge;
- Knowledge of topical issues and current affairs;
- Valid driver’s licence.
Skills & Competencies
- Able to write fluently in English
- Able to work under extreme pressure and to strict deadlines
- Good time management and the ability to multitask effectively and follow through
- Sound news judgment
- Knowledge of the online news environment
- Knowledge of social media
- Good people skills
- Persistence and results orientation
- Questioning and listening skills
- The ability to work independently
Duties & Responsibilities
- Investigate, research and write quality political news and feature articles adhering to strict deadlines; produce at least three politics news stories per day;
- Write quality profiles on political figures and conduct interviews with key political players on a weekly basis; with multi-media content;
- Adhere to the quality, style and content standards as laid out and required by News24.com;
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code;
- Generate and liaise with network of political contacts to assist with research or completion of articles/features;
- Will be required to take photographs and shoot video.
24.com is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile, applications, job listings and interactive TV. Centered on News24, 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 6 million local unique browsers monthly.