24.com is looking for a Assistant editor: breaking news, to lead News24’s fast news team in delivering accurate breaking news first through original reporting and skilful aggregation.
– Relevant tertiary qualification;
– 7-10 years editorial experience with at least two years of editorial management;
– Experience in running a newsroom in a national news environment;
– Experience in an online news environment;
– Thorough working knowledge of newsroom management and the media environment;
– A well-established contact base.
Skills & Competencies
– Excellent people management skills
– A great news sense to identify breaking stories
– A thorough understanding and appreciation of digital media
– Excellent verbal and written skills
– Exceptional time management and the ability to multitask effectively and finish projects on time
– Thorough understanding of the South African political landscape
– Planning and organising skills
– Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
– Resilient and courage
Duties & Responsibilities
– Lead and manage a national team of reporters, content producers and news editors;
– Responsible for the daily breaking news content of News24, ensuring that it meets quality requirements and deadlines;
– Ensuring that News24 is first in breaking news through quality reporting and aggregation;
– The ability to identify and evaluate news articles under tight deadlines;
– Produce a comprehensive news diary daily;
– Co-ordinate news gathering daily to achieve deadlines;
– Identify and develop news stories, news themes and strong follow-up angles;
– Remain on top of the national news agenda and keep abreast of breaking news on other platforms;
– Liaise with and co-ordinate news coverage from the bureaus and regional offices;
– Liaise with the social media editor and production team to optimise the distribution of news content;
– Closely liaise with the video editor to identify and assign visual stories;
– Brief and debrief reporters and content producers on stories, and
– Monitor the progress of articles and reports throughout the news cycle.
Media24 is a leading media company in Africa with interests in digital media, newspapers, magazines, printing, distribution, book publishing, job classifieds and ecommerce. Media24’s digital media division, 24.com, is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile and applications. 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 16 million local unique browsers monthly. Media24 is part of Naspers, a multinational group of media and ecommerce platforms.