An opportunity for a Night Reporter exists within our editorial department. The successful candidate will report directly to the news editor of The Citizen.
Purpose of the job:
To strengthen the night news team and to produce accurate and well-written stories daily for publication.
- Produce accurate and well-written news copy for print and digital platforms
- Gather news from a variety of reliable sources
- Generate ideas and proposals for new stories
- Establish and maintain a network of contacts
- Be available to work overtime and on weekends
- Monitor social media to pick up news leads and story ideas
Core competencies required:
- Talent for writing, coupled with a keen sense of news
- Keen interest in reading newspapers
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Journalism
- Newsroom writing experience
- At least three years’ journalism experience
- MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook.
- Communication skills
- Relationship-building skills
- People skills
- Ability to work accurately
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of professional journalistic conduct
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Valid driver’s licence and own vehicle essential
Preference will be given to individuals who will add to the diversity of the organisation.
Suitable applications with a full CV to be sent to: email@example.com
Reference in subject line – NIGHT REPORTER (JHB)
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2015.
The Citizen reserves the right to not fill this position.
Should you not receive any communication from The Citizen, please regard your application as unsuccessful.