An opportunity for a soccer reporter exists within our editorial department. The ideal candidate will report to the soccer editor of The Citizen newspaper.
Purpose of the job
To cover sports events, mainly soccer, assigned by the soccer editor and to write accurate and well-written stories for publication in the weekly soccer supplement Phakaaathi, as well as for the Citizen’s daily sports pages and for all digital platforms.
- Produce accurate and well-written soccer copy for the weekly soccer supplement Phakaaathi, the daily newspaper and the website
- Establish and maintain a following on Twitter
- Gather news from a variety of reliable sources
- Generate ideas and proposals for new stories
- Cover important events/issues timeously
- Establish a network of contacts
- Liaise with photographers about specific events
- Contribute on the production side of both print and digital where necessary
- Maintain good relationship with colleagues
- Good understanding of the requirements across all the platforms of the media quartet: print, online, tablet and mobi
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in journalism
- Wide knowledge and passion for sports
- Two to three years’ relevant experience
- MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook
- People skills
- Relationship-building skills
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently
- Team player
- Innovative and independent
- High degree of professional journalistic conduct
- Valid driver’s licence
- Own vehicle
Preference will be given to individuals who will add to the diversity of the organisation.
Suitable applications with a full CV to be sent to email@example.com
Reference in subject line – Soccer Reporter
Closing date for applications: 4 March 2016
The Citizen reserves the right to not fill this position.
Should you not receive any communication from The Citizen, please regard your application as unsuccessful.