The Photojournalism and Documentary Photography Programme (PDP) at the Market Photo Workshop is designed for prospective photojournalists and documentary photographers.
The PDP focuses heavily on inculcating a critical awareness of socio-political issues, cultural contexts, and contemporary media practices and perspectives, as they appear within the broader South African landscape. In keeping with the ethos of the Market Photo Workshop, there is a particular emphasis on recruiting learners from disadvantaged communities and from sectors of the media that may have limited exposure to important debates on photography (notably media in outlying and rural areas).
Important Information for Applicants:
The PDP welcomes applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, including:
- Practicing photojournalists and documentary photographers who would like to hone their skills
- Persons with recognized prior learning in photography who wish to advance in the fields of photojournalism and documentary photography
- Graduates in media studies or related fields
Duration: 12 months (Full-time)
Course starts: 7 February 2018 – 7 December 2018
Times: Mon-Fri 09h00 – 17h00
R21 000 for applicants from the Global South (emerging economies in Africa, Latin America and Asia)
R54 200 for international applicants
Persons wishing to apply for the PDP are required to complete and submit the documents below to the Market Photo Workshop:
- Application form
- Curriculum Vitae (not more than 2 pages)
- Portfolio comprising 10 images; these may be submitted as prints or in digital format (JPEGs, 72 dpi)
- Proof of payment for application fee of R100
- One an applicant has been accepted into the programme s/he will be asked to pay R1000 registration fee
Application date deadline: 15 February 2018 for late applications
Be advised that we take a very limited number of students per year.
Physical Address: 138 Lilian Ngoyi Str, Newtown, Johannesburg
Photo credit: Rosetta Msimango