The Right2Know Campaign is an umbrella group of organisations and activists campaigning to advance the free flow of information in South Africa. R2K is looking for a talented activist and campaigner to become the new Organiser on our campaigns to ensure media and internet freedom, media transformation, and access to telecommunications.
This is an opportunity to work with committed activists around the country to support popular campaigns that have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
Ideally this person should have a grasp of a range of issues related to communication rights including:
- Freedom of Expression, including online and media freedom;
- The state of South African media transformations, in particular issues relating to diversity of media ownership;
- Access to telecommunications in South Africa, in particular broadband access and the cost of data and airtime.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting activist collectives to develop and implement various advocacy strategies;
- Monitoring relevant legislation and media coverage;
- Preparing briefings, statements, and policy submissions for the Campaign;
- Representing the Campaign in various forums;
- Undertaking research;
- Developing popular education material and training events.
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign;
- Insight into campaigning and movement building, including experience with advocacy, popular education and mobilisation in the context of South African social justice struggles;
- Some understanding of issues impacting the right to communicate in South Africa;
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage;
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity;
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management;
- Strong computer skills essential (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, e-mail and Internet);
- A relevant tertiary qualification, multilingualism, and a driver’s licence, code 8, would be an advantage.
We will consider candidates wanting to work from R2K offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Durban.
To apply send a cover letter and CV with contactable references to email@example.com by 12h00 on Friday 9 September 2016. Your cover letter should indicate which R2K office you would be available to work from (Gauteng, KZN or the Western Cape).
Also see the relevant reports and resolutions of R2K’s previous National Summit:http://www.r2k.org.za/summits.