The SOS: Support Public Broadcasting Coalition Position Description
The SOS Coalition represents a broad spectrum of civil society stakeholders committed to the broadcasting of quality, diverse, citizen-orientated public-interest programming aligned to the goals of the South African Constitution. The Coalition includes a number of trade union federations including COSATU and FEDUSA, a number of independent unions including BEMAWU and MWASA; independent film and TV production sector organisations including the South African Screen Federation (SASFED); a host of NGOs and CBOs including the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI), Media Monitoring Africa (MMA), SECTION27 and a number of academics and freedom of expression activists.
The SOS Coalition seeks to appoint a Campaign Organiser based in Johannesburg. The Organiser will report to the Coordinator, and will support the Coordinator to drive a systematic strategy and programme for expanding the mass-base of the Coalition and advancing its vision for public broadcasting: encouraging people to demand broadcasting that serves the public interest.
Starting Date 1 October 2014 (negotiable)
- Work with the Coordinator and Working Group (and its subcommittees) to ensure operational and strategic coherence
- Oversee and strengthen the effective use of SOS communications tools (with an emphasis on social media), including developing a coherent communication strategy that aligns with the Coalition’s strategic aims
- Represent the Coalition at events, in structures and in the media when called on to do so
- Identify opportunities for and facilitate the development and delivery of effective popular education and training on SOS issues
- Organise and provide secretarial support at meetings of the Working Group and Finance and Management Committee
- Support the Coordinator in the planning and implementation of all SOS activities
- Provide administrative support to the Coordinator
- Minimum of a three-year post-matric qualification, or equivalent thereof through relevant experience
- Excellent writing and communication skills for internal and external communication
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills with multilingualism an advantage
- Experience in developing and running online campaigns through social media platforms and / or experience in web site development and management
- Ability to self-manage, multi-task, pay attention to detail, plan and implement efficiently, and work under pressure
- Experience in community organising and social justice advocacy
- Ability to maintain good working relationships and work in a flexible team environments
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office suite)
Remuneration: The Coalition offers a negotiable salary from R15000 (all inclusive) commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Black females are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a CV not exceeding 3 pages and motivation letter to Kerry Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org by 05 September 2014.
Enquiries: Sekoetlane Phamodi on +27 11 788 1278; +27 76 084 8077.
No late applications will be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified via email or telephone by no later than 12 September 2014.
For more about the SOS Coalition, please visit www.soscoalition.org.za.