Reporting to: Money editor
Department: Tiso Blackstar Digital
Location: Cape Town/Johannesburg
We are looking for a production editor to work in Tiso Blackstar Group’s Money (personal finance) team, which produces daily and weekly content for the Financial Mail, Business Day, BusinessLIVE, the Business Times and other Tiso Blackstar Group publications and websites, including advertorial or sponsored copy.
Please note this is a short-term contract valid for six months only.
- Manage flow of copy from writers according to diary requirements.
- Edit all copy from writers, ensuring facts are correct and copy is in plain language.
- Submit copy to relevant publications on deadline.
- Liaise with sub-editors on content required especially for print pages and manage queries on copy.
- Produce short Money web articles and work with other journalists in the group on stories where necessary.
- Manage letters from readers and source replies.
- Commission copy from writers when necessary and research story ideas.
- Liaise with sub-editors and graphic artists on production of graphics for Money platforms.
- Check proofs of print and online content.
- Liaise with publications’ web teams on social media and other requirements regarding Money content.
- Troubleshoot technical problems.
- Weekend and after-hours work will be required at times.
Skills and attributes
- Strong editing and news editing skills.
- Strong English-language content writing skills.
- Ability to analyse data and draw conclusions.
- Some knowledge of social media management.
- In-depth knowledge of the personal finance/financial services industries.
- Good communication skills.
- Self-motivated team player able to work independently and with writers and sub-editors.
Skills that would be an advantage
- Ability to work with spreadsheets.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma in journalism or a related field.
- Personal financial qualification or experience.
- Five years’ or more experience in writing and/or subbing on a personal financial publication.
Applications deadline: September 7 2018
CVs and a short cover letter should be addressed to Laura du Preez, Money editor, on email@example.com.
Tiso Blackstar Group is an affirmative action employer and preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.