Reporting to: Money editor
Department: Tiso Blackstar Digital
Location: Cape Town/Johannesburg
We are looking for a reporter to work in Tiso Blackstar Group’s Money (personal finance) team, which produces daily and weekly content for the Financial Mail, Business Day, BusinessLIVE, the Business Times and other Tiso Blackstar Group publications and websites, including advertorial or sponsored copy.
Please note this is a short-term contract valid for six months only.
- Initiate and produce accurate consumer-focused personal finance news and feature content in plain language for all Money publications.
- Source supplementary links, pictures, audio and videos where necessary.
- Keep abreast with current trends in the personal finance and consumer field.
- Daily diary co-ordination with Money editors.
- Work with other journalists (print or digital) in the Tiso Blackstar Group newsroom on stories where necessary.
- Collaborate with Money editor and production editor to fine-tune content.
- Weekend and after-hours work will be required at times.
Skills and attributes
- Strong English-language writing and communication skills.
- Able to analyse data and draw conclusions.
- In-depth knowledge of the personal finance/financial services industries.
- Self-motivated team player able to work with writers and sub-editors.
Skills that would be an advantage
- Ability to use spreadsheets.
- Multimedia, radio and/or TV experience.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma in journalism or a related field.
- Advantageous: a personal financial qualification or experience.
- Three years’ or more experience as a consumer/personal finance writer.
Applications deadline: September 7 2018
CVs and a short cover letter should be addressed to Laura du Preez, Money editor, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tiso Blackstar Group is an affirmative action employer and preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.