||Voice of Wits is looking for a station manager to lead an energetic team on this innovative and award-winning campus radio station
The station provides a vehicle for communication among students and other members of the university community, and for skills development of volunteers and staff. Reporting to the VoW FM board, the Station Manager will be responsible for overseeing the station, and making sure that it fulfils this dual mandate. The station works closely with the Wits Radio Academy, part of Wits Journalism, but remains independent of it. The Station Manager needs to maintain these and other strategic relationships.
• Strategic Management: providing overall direction to the station, under the direction of the board and in consultation with management and other stakeholders
• Organisational and Resource Development: ensuring that infrastructure and administrative systems work optimally
• Financial Management: controlling expenditure and ensuring that sales targets are met to ensure sustainability
• Staff Management, development and stakeholder relationships
• Programming, community and compliance: overseeing programme quality and ensuring the station fulfils its obligations to its community of listeners as well as statutory requirements.
• a degree in a relevant field;
• at least two years’ experience in radio station management; or experience in both media management and radio totalling at least three years.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to persuade and to manage a large team of staff, interns, volunteers and cooperation; and to relate to a wide range of stakeholders;
• A clear understanding of the different purposes of the station, and an ability to integrate community service, skills development and sustainability in the context of a university radio station;
• Strong organisational skills;
• Passion, idealism, integrity, a positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed;
• A background in programming, technical, sales or marketing aspects of radio, or in skills development, would be a strong recommendation.
||To apply, submit a letter of motivation – clearly indicating which position you are applying for, detailed CV and the names and contact details of three referees (incl. e-mail addresses).
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/”Apply for a job”
External applicants are invited to apply, by registering a profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
*The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the under-represented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. Designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended, means black people, women and people with disabilities.
WITS Employment Equity Policy: https://www.wits.ac.za/media/wits-university/footer/about-wits/transformation-office/documents/Policy%20-%20Employment%20Equity.pdf
Closing Date: 15th March 2019
Please note that only applications via the website will be considered for shortlisting.
The University reserves the right to verify all information provided by candidates and to verify credit standing. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with short-listed candidates.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.