The Wits Journalism seeks to appoint a Web and Communications Officer who will be responsible for communicating the department’s activities to a range of audiences through a range of appropriate channels, including a website, social media properties, newsletters and others. The role includes writing and editing copy and keeping online properties updated. The role is available on a 50% basis, for an initial contract period until July 2022. The appointment will be made at AD10 level.
• Maintaining www.journalism.co.za including www.wits.journalism.co.za, keeping it updated with fresh information on the centre and of general interest to its audience, the journalists of Southern Africa;
• Assisting with other online publications
• Managing the department’s social media presence
• Maintaining a list of host/database of contact details for the department’s stakeholders including industry partners, donors, university etc
• Producing regular newsletters.
• Marketing of events and conferences hosted by the department throughout the year online and on social media, including assisting with basic design of relevant publicity material for specific platforms
• Monitoring performance and generating insights to improve engagement across web and social media
• Assisting with the department’s public online events.
• A bachelors’ degree or equivalent;
• Three years’ experience in relevant work;
• High-level web design and management skills;
• Knowledge of CMS and other relevant software;
• Familiar with online meeting software platforms like Zoom and Teams;
• Must be confident in use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms including Facebook Ads
• Experience in editorial environment
• SEO, CSS Html, copy-editing and multimedia skills would be an advantage
• Knowledge of and experience with Google Analytics or similar web analytic tools
• Strong writing and editing skills, including producing copy for social media
• Good communication and organisational skills; ability to work remotely and flexible hours; initiative
• Design skills, use of Adobe Creative Suite Photoshop and Illustrator and/or Canva would be advantageous
To apply, submit a letter of motivation – clearly indicating which position you are applying for, detailed CV and the names and contact details of three referees (incl. e-mail addresses).
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/”Apply for a job”
Closing Date: 27th August 2021
Please note that only applications via the website will be considered for shortlisting.
The University reserves the right to verify all information provided by candidates and to verify credit standing. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with short-listed candidates.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.