The Wits Radio Academy is looking for a content producer to work on our radio show, The Science Inside
Are you interested in making innovative radio programmes that make science accessible to the general public? The Wits Radio Academy is now looking for a producer to join the production team for The Science Inside, a weekly show, now moving into its second season. The show unpacks the science behind issues in the news, from the trial of Oscar Pistorius to fracking or water shortages.
The show includes a mixture of documentary elements, studio discussion and debate, as well as news and a quiz. The show is broadcast on VoW 88.1, the Wits University campus station, and is made available as podcast on a range of different platforms. The producer post will be half time. We hope also to extend the show’s reach, which would mean the job would need to include liaising with partner stations. This is an opportunity to make innovative radio – way beyond static formulas of ordinary talk.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Developing and producing radio documentary segments
- An interest in telling science based stories
- Select guests and content for The Science Inside;
- Pre-production: planning, scripting, driving content and preparation;
- Post-production: debriefs and content analysis;
- Present segments of the show on air;
- Work effectively with other members of the production team;
- May involve liaising with partnering stations, help train local producers, keep working schedule running effectively; monitoring partnering stations.
- Relevant journalism degree or experience;
- Ability to engage and work with production team;
- Ability to produce a talk show, select and organize information and run teams effectively;
- Some key personal characteristics: creativity, responsible, diligent, able to think on one’s feet, motivated and engaged;
- A willingness to work flexible hours;
- An interest in science.
- Audio editing skills and radio experience.
- An ability to write with a strong voice.
Please send through a CV with a motivation letter about yourself and what you think you could bring to the team.
Please also submit a short example of radio work you have done: a packaged report, interview or similar, of around 5 minutes. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed.
Closing date: 17 April 2015
Listen to previous episodes at https://www.journalism.co.za/blog/topics/categories/science
Further information is available from Paul McNally at the Wits Radio Academy
Cell +27 (0) 82 382 1222